Saturday 24 January 2009

January Prize Draw - Captivity: Debbie Lee Wesselmann


It's time for our first prize draw here at 'The Year of Readers', yehaw. I decided to hold monthly draws with prizes that will encourage all participants in their reading. John F Blair is the first publisher who has generously donated a free book to give one lucky participant something new to read. Check out short blurb of 'Captivity' by Debbie Lee Wessemann below:


"Dana Armstrong is no ordinary primatologist. In the 1970s, she was the little blond girl with a chimpanzee for a sister, a participant in her father's psychology experiment that sought to narrow the divide between species. Now, decades later, the black-and-white clips of Dana bathing, learning sign language, and throwing tantrums with her "sister" still flicker in classrooms across the country. Dana wants nothing more than to forget about them, but as director of a chimpanzee sanctuary in the woods of South Carolina, she cannot escape.


Dana arrives at work one morning to discover that the worst has happened: someone has vandalized the buildings and opened the cages, setting loose a group of particularly dangerous chimpanzees. She mobilizes her staff to capture the missing chimps before they can injure local citizens or be killed themselves. The sanctuary is already on precarious ground, and if it fails, the chimps--some infected with HIV, some survivors of experimental surgeries, some rescued from roadside zoos--have nowhere to go. The sanctuary is all they--and Dana--have left."


If you would like to win this book and a small assortment of craft goodies from various Etsy sponsors just comment on this post telling me what your favourite book about nature is by January 31st. (PS you will also receive an e-mail detailing the terms and conditions of this giveaway once I get back to my work computer- only official participants of this challenge who have signed up using Mr Linky are eligible to enter for this prize).

5 comments:

Medical Librarian said...

Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer. Based on the true climbing tragedy on Mount Everest, this is something totally outside of my own world experience--the desire to conquer and do what most of us will never do in nature.

J.C. Montgomery said...

I'm trying to think of a favorite book about nature, and can only think of Anne Dillard's Pilgrim at Tinker Creek.

In all honesty, it isn't one of most favorites, but it is always the one that comes to mind whenever I think of a book of nature...or at least the relationship we can have with it.

Sandra said...

I really enjoyed Teaching a Stone to Talk: Expeditions and Encounters by Annie Dillard. I would love to read Captivity, thank you for entering me.

Ms. Bookworm said...

I accidently deleted your email before I replied to it with my totals. I have been a bit AWOL from Blogger, but I have been reading for this! I put my totals so far on my blog, and here they are as well:

Total Books Read: 8
Total Pages Read: 2454

Peta said...

Hrmm - favourite book about nature is such a tall order! I've enjoyed reading biographies of people who have done pioneering work with animals (such as Dian Fossey, Gerald Durrell or Jane Goodall) but then I do get inspiration from novels where nature plays a central role and a recent(ish) example would be Jim Lynch's A Highest Tide. I think I'd have to end up choosing Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams though as it certainly makes you think.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online