Friday 31 December 2010

The Year of Readers - Sticky Post


If you've found this blog after January 1st 2009 you can still sign up and become a part of 'The Year of Readers'. Just start your charitable reading year from when you sign up, using the Mr Linky below, and end it on December 31st.

I love to read. Countries and people open up when I start a book and a story begins. It’s easy for me to pull a new book out of my crowded bookshelves every time I want one but not everyone can just grab books by the handful and choose their next read. For someone who hates to have to wait for books it’s sad to think of someone unable to get a novel when they want to. I feel even worse when I think of people who can’t read or have never had the opportunity to learn how much fun reading can be. Books are one of the simplest luxuries in the world and should be accessible to everyone.

In 2009 I want to spread my love of reading throughout the world. The Year of Readers aims to bring people who enjoy books together to have fun bringing literature into the lives of others. From the 1st January 2009 until 31st of December 2009 I will be running an international read-a-thon that will be open to anyone who reads. It doesn’t matter what kind of books you read or how many you read as long as you’ve got your nose in a book in 2009 you can join in.

The Year of Readers

It’s an easy concept (which is probably why I thought of it). You pick a literary charity that you want to support in 2009. You sign up to be part of The Year of Readers, get people to sponsor you and just start reading whatever you like. If you’re going to read next year why not join and help a bookish charity at the same time?

How to Join

Sign up to The Year of Readers using the link device below. Remember to leave your website (if you want it to be linked to in the right sidebar). Once you’re signed up leave a comment with your e-mail address and I’ll send you your sponsorship form and an invite allowing you to post at this community blog so you can tell everyone about what you’re reading throughout the year. You don’t have to post here to qualify for the read-a-thon but you can if you want to.

After you sign up I'd love if you would also comment on this post to let me know which charity you’ll be reading for. I’ve put a list of suggested charities in the left sidebar but you can pick any charity you like as long as it has a link to reading. If you tell me which charity you'll be raising funds for I'll add them to that list.

I’ll also send each participant an e-mail with a sponsorship form and some helpful information. You can get people to sponsor you per book read or get them to give you a big lump sum for reading in 2009, you can even make up your own system for being sponsored. If you're taking part in any reading challenges this year you could get people to sponsor you per challenge completed. If you're looking for your next challenge visit A Novel Challenge.



How to Sponsor

Simply click on the links in the right sidebar to go to the sites of readers taking part. There you'll be able to contact them about making a donation.

Donating Online

If you want people to be able to sponsor you online the easiest way seems to be using JustGiving (or if you want to give to a Candian charity CanadaHelps). I'll be sending out sponsorship forms to every one who signs up but these guys might give you an extra way to raise funds. Many of the charities listed on the left have accounts set up so that you can link up with them.

Some Quick Rules

You can sign up at any time but only books read from 1st January to 31st December 2009 can be counted towards your sponsored read-a-thon.

You must sign up via the linking device at the bottom of this post to take part.

Books of any genre or type count (including graphic novels and poetry anthologies) but magazines and newspapers do not. If you're taking part in any reading challenges next year all those books can be counted towards your sponsored read-a-thon.

We have some great buttons for you to display on your blogs. These were designed by Mandi and you can find them at this post . Isn't she great for making these! I'm going to work on putting up lots more charity links as well. We have a nice schedule of monthly prize draws where participants can sign up to win bookish items. Join in and let The Year of Reading be your first good deed for 2009.

51 comments:

Wendy said...

Thanks for stopping by A Novel Challenge! I will definitely post this wonderful event on my site...I tried this morning but Blogger is now having some issues with me and running so slowly that I will try again later. This looks wonderful!

Wendy said...

Well, as soon as I wrote that, Blogger decided to cooperate! This is now posted to A Novel Challenge blog...hope you will see plenty of interest for this worthy cause!

J.C. Montgomery said...

This is a great idea, especially for someone like me that had a real hard time getting my challenges done last year. With this one, there is no requirement to read any one genre, any one book - simply to just do what I love and read.

On top of that, it can help someone else. I will be choosing First Book as my charity of choice.

Thanks so much for doing this!

I can be reached at:
cappsmontgomery AT hotmail DOT com

Vasilly said...

This is perfect! Count me in. I think I will also be choosing First Book for my charity.

Ms. Bookworm said...

This is a wonderful idea and I can't wait for Jan 1st so that I can start reading for such a great cause.

My charity of choice will be Reader To Reader. Thanks so much for doing this! You can reach me at:

Mandi(dot)Moore87(at)yahoo(dot)com

(No spaces in there anywhere. LoL)

Anonymous said...

I will be participating. :)

Kelly

kellyhager1234 AT comcast dot net

Unknown said...

I am very eager to start this challenge.. I will gladly pass this along to all of my friends and family who love reading and great literature as much as i do!!!

Jodie said...

Hi Danielle and Kelly thanks for joining the challenge - can you comment somewhere with your e-mail addresses so I can send you your sponsorship forms.

Peta said...

I love this challenge and, once I decide which charity to support, I will post here. So many literacy/book charities out there and I want to pick the right one!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I'm so in. My charity of choice is Reading is Fundamental (R.I.F.).

thebluestockingsociety(at)gmail

Jessica @ The Bluestocking Society
http://thebluestockings.com

Christina said...

Great idea!

I've chosen First Book as my charity.

christina(at)babblingbookreviews(dot)com

Christina

NotJustLaura said...

I think this is an excellent idea - thanks for organising it. I'll be reading for EcoLibris and you can pick up my email addy from my profile page.

kalafudra said...

I'm in! Great idea! I hope I can help with it.

I can be reached at kalafudra (a) yahoo (dot) com.
I will be supporting the African Prisons Project.

See also my justgiving page:
http://www.justgiving.com/kalafudra

Dr. Platypus said...

Sounds great to me

MaryR said...

What a great project! I wrote about it on my blog today at http://nhbookcenter.blogspot.com/2008/11/2009-year-of-readers.html

sarah said...

ssssssssam@gmail.com

I will read for First Book. Send me an email and tell me what to do.

strawberryluna said...

Cool idea, I'm way down! strawberryluna [ a t ] strawberryluna.com Thanks so much. Off to blog about this on my own blog. Cheers!

strawberryluna said...

Hello again, just blogged about The Year of Readers here: http://strawberryluna.wordpress.com/

Thanks for such a great idea again!

Grilsgood said...

I would like to join, guess i hae about a month to decide onthe charity. Lindy

NYCentrist said...

I would like to participate too.

Melissa said...

What a great idea! I'm looking forward to participating!

Kari Wolfe said...

I will definitely have to post The Year of Readers to my website - I think that this is a wonderful idea and since I LOVE to read, I definitely want to help others do the same.

You can reach me at kippras AT gmail DOT com :) I don't know which charity I will be donating to this year; however, I'll post on here when I do decide.

This is a GREAT IDEA :)

Melwyk said...

I'm going to join too-- my email can be found on my profile page also.
The charity I'll be reading for is PLOW (Public Library on Wheels), an outreach effort at my own library, which drives around to rural areas that don't have library service. Not only can people borrow books, they can also attend family storytimes.

Melissa said...

I will be reading for Room to Read. You can follow along with my reading at my blog, runningwithbooks.blogspot.com.

Unknown said...

Nice idea. Came here via the link at 3%.

Looking forward to seeing the sponsorship form and additional information.

Any leads on book charities specifically focused on Maine?

Condalmo (http://condalmo.wordpress.com)

Unknown said...

Worthy recepient:

http://www.mcsweeneys.net/dfw/memorialfund.html

Vasilly said...

Jodie, have you seen this?

http://www.rochester.edu/College/translation/threepercent/index.php?id=1485

Girl, you are on a roll!!

BubbleBathReader said...

I want to sign up, but there was no link to go to: jletourneur@gmail.com
Thanks!

jessi said...

I'm in! :)

Jodie said...

Hurray I'm really greatful to all the people who've spoken about this event on their blogs. It's great to see the publicity ball rolling.

Rob McMonigal said...

I'm in! I'll be doing mine for http://www.readertoreader.org/.

Now to convince my family to kick in on a per book basis, heh heh... :)

Gentle Reader said...

This is a great idea--I'm so excited to participate. Now I'm going to figure out which charity I want to choose...

gentlereader1 at hotmail dot com

foxmo said...

I'd love to participate!
mollyfox5 at comcast dot net

Anonymous said...

I am doing this project this year along with my fiancee Trebro. I will be sponsoring the African Library Project and donating .25 of my own money (hey, I'm not that fast a reader!) per book read. You can get in contact with me at blacklightdiner at gmail dot com.

Erica

Unknown said...

I love this concept. I would like to participate and I have chosen Book Aid International as the organization that I would like to fund. I pledge to donate $1 for each book that I read in 2009.

You can reach me at bigdirtyfoot@gmail.com and my website address is http://www.ddubsreads.com ... thank you!

Libreria said...

Just signed up this new year morning, so happy to find The Year of Readers. I pledge P100 or US$2 for every book I finish. Not sure how I can get others to help me out yet. Any tips would be welcome.
Is it possible to suggest a reading charity, there is one public library in my country that bookmoochers in the Philippines have been supporting, namely the Quezon City Public Library? Will await feedback on this.
Have posted on my blog, and hope this will spur me to blog more often.
Have already read 1 book in this new year, how do I record... or should I read the posts some more?
Thanks for letting me take part in this.

Libreria said...

oops, please email me at libreria04@gmail.com

Nessa said...

All right, I had two people say they're willing to sponsor me, so I'm signing up. I haven't picked a charity yet... and I actually may let each sponsor pick their own, so long as it pertains to books.

Peta said...

After much deliberating, I've chosen Book Aid International as my charity this year. Now to turn books into pounds!

Anonymous said...

I committed a while back, but only just chose my charity today. I found out about this through Trebro's blog. I will be reading for Eco-Libris. I am excited.

My email is joyface [at] gmail [dot] com

SleightGirl said...

This looks really cool! I read 68 books last year, but I think this time I can do the 100!

Jodie said...

100! Wow that blows me out of the water - it would be fantastic if you did.

Sandra said...

I am confined at home so will probably have to sponsor myself but I do read a great deal and can raise some contribution I'm sure. I would like to donate to the Camel Bookmobile Drive please. I can include books read since Jan. 1 as I keep records. My email is sfuhringer AT sympatico DOT ca
Thank you.

Medical Librarian said...

What a great idea! I'm thrilled to participate, and I'm donating to BooksFirst!, which is a non-profit that donates books to under-resourced classrooms. Their site is at

http://www.booksfirst.org

You can reach me at: Choco223 AT aol DOT com

Jazz said...

Hi, I'm very excited to be a part of this! My email address is ladysexton@gmail.com. I will be reading for the African Prisons Project.

Dossie58 said...

great idea, i signed up!

Literary Feline said...

I know I am late to the game, but I would like to join. I will be reading for The Book Wish Foundation.

literaryfeline AT gmail DOT com
Musings of a Bookish Kitty

ANovelMenagerie said...

Your blog has been nominated for a 2009 BBAW Award. If you'd like some information on it, please email me at anovelmenagerie@aol.com.

Thanks.

Sheri
BBAW Awards Committee

Dancin Fool said...

Hello! I have just come across this post and would love to join in but as the year is getting on I am not sure if you think it worth it, will this be running for 2010?

I would like to do my bit for The Literacy Site. They give free books and tuition to children. I have buttons on my blog that they supplied that you click and for each click some funds go to the charity via their sponsors. It would be great to give them a lump sum too!

If you are interested in putting their buttons on your blog the web address is:

http://www.theliteracysite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=6

There are other charities there and they all have the same one click button. At the end of each year they announce how much money has been raised by people clicking the buttons alone and it is really substantial. The sponsors get the bonus of people seeing their adverts and therefore donate.

Anyway if you have a moment I would be very grateful if you could let me know whether you think it worthwhile me joining in now.

Many thanks and bye for now!

Elisha German said...

I look forward to this challenge, it sounds like it will be a lot of fun:)

Berita hari ini di Indonesia said...

This page is very nice and very suitable to expand. I really like this page.
don't forget to visit my site :) Thankss..
games poker369
Poker bri 24j am
ceme 24 jam
Omaha 24j am
Dominoqq 24 jam
Super10 24j am

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online